Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Eye is the Window of the Soul

It is a common symptom of autism that the child cannot make eye contact. There is something about the eyes that greatly disturbs them. I can't help but wonder if they have a more intense view of the soul, one that we could not bear to look at either. Interesting thought, but without foundation.

Although I can't speak to all of A.S., my Jon has always needed eye contact and the opportunity to respond verbally to any commands that are given. I remember when he was around 6 or 7, we would often comment that his eyes looked as if they were spiralling. There was, apparently, too much activity in his mind to maintain good eye contact. It was only at the moment that I could get his eyes to lock on mine that I knew I finally had his attention. If I didn't, I would not be heard. Nor would he even remember that I had spoken to him.

I have often thought that reaching his soul would be through his eyes. For that reason, I make certain that we make eye contact as often as possible, so that he can 'read' me and I can 'read' him. Without it, there seems to be no understanding between us. Even with this, we are often at an impasse. It is of the utmost importance that he 'see' the Spirit of God in my soul. Quite a challenge for Mom, who sometimes just wants to 'back off' and not face the confrontation.

No comments: