Saturday, May 3, 2008

To drug or not to drug...

I was, at one point, ready to do the 'drug thing.' I'm a natural path, so you have to understand that I was at my whit's end to even consider it.

Natural stuff works, but it takes time, and sometimes that is just too much.

It's just that the side effects are also sometimes too much to consider.

Our local chiropractor has helped quite a bit, and if anyone wants his info, email me.

But I have to say that if you're not monitoring the diet, the natural stuff won't work. I've listed a book here called, "Is This Your Child?". Although I have not read it entirely, I'm convinced that it offers good advice in this area. The problem is that the diet is SO hard. Unless your whole family and all your friends do the same diet, he/she will be exposed to the soda, the crackers, the cookies, the fruities, etc. Other people will offer your children stuff that you don't want them to have and you will get looks from them that scream, "I can't believe you're depriving this child!"

I will NEVER offer sweets to someone else's child unless I have the express permission from the parents for each instance. After all the heartache I've received from others who think I'm terrible for keeping my child from eating the stuff offered at Sunday School, my conscience won't let me.

And the 'bad' foods will always be available. You can't shelter your child from them. It simply won't work. And how do you manage this diet while not sparking rebellion in your child? It's a tightrope act.

Jon is finally convinced that I want the best for him. But that is a recent development. Prior to this, even within the last year, there was quite a bit of stealing. Soda, in the middle of the night. Candies that I thought were hidden. Once, a candy bar from a store. (He got caught and was so mortified he never did it again.)

My friend healed herself of cancer. Quite a feat. Her advice to me in this area was to keep to the diet during school days. The alternative is that the child is handicapped in his learning. The bad foods have such an effect that sometimes learning is impossible. Then, on the weekend, offer one treat of his/her choice. If you keep it to that, they don't have such a strong reaction to the foods. And they don't feel quite so deprived. They get to choose, which allows them liberty. And they receive good training in how to be healthy, in body and in mind. It's good advice. Easier said, than done, however.

If anyone wants to add their thoughts to this blog, now would be the time...this is, very likely, one of the hardest things to implement in helping these children.

And if you've chosen, or are about to choose, the drug thing, I release you from guilt. Don't beat yourself up - others do that well enough.

No comments: