Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Noise!

Noise has two functions in the life of an Aspie. One is made by others to irritate the Aspie and one is used by the Aspie to irritate others. Ok, that might be simplifying just a bit. But, in a nutshell, that's it.

Pencil tapping. Toe tapping. Crinkling paper. Chewing on a piece of plastic. You name it.

Ear plugs anyone??

Drums. Jon wants to play the drums. I think a musical instrument would be a good way to channel the noise factor. I'll try it and let you know. Since the Aspies are quite methodical and sequential, music is very likely an answer to...well...something.

But how to help them see that every little noise that others make is not a deliberate attempt to sabotage the Aspie's peace and quiet...I don't know! Solutions, rather than blame, is very likely the key factor here. It's funny, as in odd, how they want the authority figure to step in and 'make' it all go away (the noise, that is). But this is not a good way to encourage self-government. Repetitive noises made by him seem to soothe him, while raising the hackles of the rest of the kids. Repetitive noises made by others are apt to wake the Mr. Hyde within.

I was proud of him today. Not only did he offer to help watch the, uh, let's see...8 Probst children for a bit, along with my 5yo, but he stayed the course until he started to get a little irritated, some hour or so later. He handled it well - he came and told me he needed some down time. Who makes more repetitive noises than 5 children under the age of 8? And you should've heard the noise level in my house with 14 children, ranging in age from 4m to 17. I think the thing that impressed me most was that Jon came to me with a matter-of-fact statement, rather than a complaint. That's it for tonight - I'm going to go commend him right now.

No comments: